Sunday 24 July 2022

Hot Summer Days


"Crab Sandwiches, Combesgate Beach"- view in my gallery -  11 x 8 in - Gouache


By now the heatwave that we experienced over the past few days will almost be a distant memory, at least I hope it is for you, it certainly feels that way out here on the Devon coast.

The first day I did the only sensible thing an outdoor painter would do, and took myself off to the beach with a wide brimmed hat, gallons of suncream and found a rock pool to stand in.

Whist sweating my way through the initial lay in stages of the painting, I couldn't help but focus on a few of the beachgoers in front of me.

 I was thoroughly enjoying the conversation between these two gentlemen, going through their ideal lunch on a hot beach day.
Crab sandwiches with salt and pepper on white bread, not too much butter. Washed down with homemade cloudy lemonade and a clotted cream ice cream for dessert.
It sounded perfect!

In fact it made me so hungry, that I decided to break for a spot of lunch. Only to find in my determination to pack appropriate clothing, sun cream and water, I had left my packed lunch on the kitchen counter, all I had was an apple. 

When the heat started to get a bit too much I finished off with a quick sea swim to cool down and headed back to the studio to finish off.

That never happened, by the time I got back to my studio, it was a furnace in there, so the painting had to wait for the cooler evening to get it's few finishing details.


                                                            _______________________________________

 

"Barricane Card Game"- view in my gallery -  11 x 8 in - Gouache



With the heat of the day cooling, I walked down to Barricane to catch the sunset and curry hour vibe that I enjoy so much in these summer months.

The beach was unusually quiet , maybe the heat had drained the earlier busy scene down to the hardy or fresh arrivals?

I loved the sight of a family dancing in the sunlight near the waters edge, framed with one of my favourite beach sights, a card game played on a scattered array of woven beach mats with a few cold beers dotted around for sustenance.

Hot beach days abroad, I always loved seeing the locals, old and young alike hunkered down under their beach shades and parasols playing cards while they sat out the heat of the late afternoon.

This scene reminded me of those Mediterranean echoes.

Planning ahead, I made a quick sketch and then painted this one up in the studio the next morning, before the heat fried my roof off. 

Even with my love of beach life and painting intense sunlight, I can safely say that I am happy that the mercury has dropped back down to what is more common on our fair skinned shores. 
                                                        _______________________________________

 

Also available;

The Studio Sale is on until the end of July, if you wanted to treat yourself to a painting at a special price for subscribers..

"Early Morning Peace"

View in the gallery

"Walking Home"

View in the gallery


Stay cool and best wishes as always,