Wednesday 2 May 2012

" Lazy Afternoon " - almost painting out in the sunshine


9 x 6 inches oil on canvas panel. £400


"I was so enthusiastic about getting to the beach today to paint in this beautiful warm sunshine, that only after I had scouted out my spot , set everything up, squeezed out my paint, ordered a tea , worked out where to start, did I realise that I left my white paint at the studio! - Doh!! So, this little study was done from memory back in the studio. Funnily enough, before heading out, I was reading Kevin MacPherson's excellent book " Inside and Out " and he mentioned trying out an exercise where you studied a scene outdoors without a sketchbook or camera, then went back to your studio and painted it from memory. I thought that was an excellent idea, and one that I would do one day, i didn't quite expect to be practicing it half an hour later. Kevin was right though, it's amazing how much you remember, try it out sometime?"