Tuesday 26 October 2010

"View across the Bay" Step by step Oil Painting Demo

This is a commission that I'm working on at the moment, and I thought it would be a good chance to step you through, how I approach it.
It's quite a good size piece at 36 x 24 inches. i'm using W&N Alkyd oils for this.

Step one; I toned the canvas with a light yellowy /purple/ grey, and outlined my big shapes with a watered down mix of alazarin crimson and ultramarine blue.

Starting with the sky, I painted fast and loosely moving from the distance to the foreground, spending a little time on the clouds, headland and surf.


Step Two; I filled in the beach, grass and ground under the van, just blocking in colours to gauge their relationships.



Step Three; A little more work on the sand, grass and ground, and the darks in the van.
Then blocking the van in, next came walking the dog and dinner.

So check in tomorrow for the finishing steps.